Dry skin is a common condition with many causes. The list of culprits that can cause it is a long one. Hot showers, winter weather, harsh soaps, can all remove moisture from the skin. Good news! There are natural remedies you can add to your skin care routine at home, and you may already have some of the ingredients.
Products that are water based, contain alcohol or fragrances, can cause irritation or an allergic reaction and dry out skin. Itching and inflammation can also occur.
Coconut Oil: Coconut oil has what’s called emollient properties. This means it fills the spaces between skin cells creating a nice smooth surface and the natural fatty acids will hydrate and soothe the skin. Coconut oil can be used daily, even on the most sensitive spots on your body including under the eyes and around the mouth. For chapped heels and hands, layer with coconut oil and cover with socks or gloves overnight.
Oatmeal Baths: Oatmeal (colloidal) has antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties that can soothe skin. Especially for those seeking itch relief. To make an oatmeal bath – use a food processor or blender to grind oatmeal into a powder. Stir into warm water and soak for 15 minutes. When you are done, make sure to moisturize!
Antioxidants and Omega 3: When your skin is dry it means you are exposing it to elements that are damaging skin cells faster than you can make them. There are some foods that can help skin appear healthier and minimize damage from toxins and help your skin make healthy cells. Blueberries, carrots, and lentils, are just a few.
Shower Temperature: Most people take hot showers, these can scald skin and cause damage. The same could be said with certain soaps that claim to nourish skin but actually contain harsh chemicals and do just the opposite. Use soaps that are fragrance free and gentle on the skin.
5 Tips for Avoiding Dry Skin
- Moisturize as part of your daily skin care routine – Be sure to use moisturizer every time you get out of the shower.
- Develop healthy skin care shower routines – Don’t bath or shower in hot water.. Instead, use warm water and use a mild cleanser.
- Avoid harsh chemicals – Avoid ingredients such as alcohol, apple cider vinegar and harsh chemicals. These ingredients can worsen dry skin.
- Drink plenty of water – boosting your water intake will help hydrate your body and moisturize your skin from the inside out as well as all its other benefits.
- Dress appropriately for the weather – Always use sunscreen to protect skin from skin cancer and dress appropriately during winter months to prevent drying and chapping.