Cooking a delicious Thanksgiving turkey can be challenging… These easy instructions will solve that problem and help create a tender, juicy, turkey… It’s a breeze to prepare and turns out delicious every time.
What you need to roast a turkey, in a bag;
- Turkey size oven bag
- Large roasting pan
- Instant read thermometer
- 12 – 24 pound turkey
To add extra flavor
- 1 large onions cut into chunks
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped into 2” pieces
- 4 celery ribs cut into 2” pieces
- 1 tsp dried Thyme
- 3 cloves of garlic minced minced (can be omitted)
- ¼ cup butter
Cooking the Turkey
- Move rack to one below the middle and preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Prepare turkey by removing neck and giblets, tuck wings under turkey and season turkey cavity with salt and pepper
- Make the butter mixture – combine butter, thyme, salt, and pepper
- Separate the turkey breast skin from breast with the back of a wooden spoon. Rub butter under skin and spread.
- Season turkey with a fair amount of salt and pepper
- Add 1 Tbsp of flour to the oven bag and shake
- Add vegetables to bag and place turkey on top of vegetables
- Close oven bag with tie and cut 6 slits in the bag to let the steam out
- Bake turkey according to size (chart below) until temperature reaches 165 degrees at the thickest part of the breast.
- Let turkey rest at least 20 minutes after removing from the oven